Monday, June 20, 2011
Cod with fresh peach salsa and orzo salad
I know I have not been active on this blog- I had no idea how much time making a blog would be and with 3 kids and job- you get the idea. But I so excited about this recipe (mostly because I made it up myself and it was still a hit)I had to share with someone- who I do not know. It got five stars at our house- all 3 kids had seconds and I should have doubled the orzo for lunches the next day. It really takes advantage the summer produce in our region right now.
Cod with Fresh Peach salsa with orzo salad
6 wild cod fillets
2 peaches, pitted and sliced in half
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1/2 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced crosswise (about 2 cups)
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup basil, chopped
3 tbsp butter at room temperature
6 ounces orzo pasta
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Prepare compound butter:
2. m\Mix softened butter, 1 tsp lime juice, finely chopped mint and parsley (1 tbsp each) until blended.
3. Orzo step 1:
4. In advance boil orzo noodle in salted water 9 minutes until al dente allow to cool at least one hour,
5. Once drained (while still hot) toss with olive oil to prevent sticking.
7. Heat grill to medium heat.
8. Place peaches and sliced onions in a bowl and add olive oil to coat.
9. Grill peaches (skin side down) and onions until softened about 5-7 minutes.
10. Peal skin off peaches once cool and chop onions and peaches into course dice,
11. Chop red pepper. Mix all the peaches, 1/2 the onion, 1/2 the red pepper, 1/8 cup of mint and parsley (or cilantro). Salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze with fresh lime and lime zest.
12. Orzo Step 2:
13. Mix cooled pasta, balsamic vinegar, remaining red pepper and onion, chopped basil and parley and salt and pepper to taste.
15. Cut tin foil into large rectangle (heavy duty or 2 pieces of regular. Place 3 fish fillets on each piece. Repeat with remaining 3 fillets.
16. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. fold into foil pouch- sealed tightly.
17. Place on grill and cook 7-8 minutes until flakes. Cod is very delicate fish and will need to removed carefully with spatula. Cannot grill directly on grill or it will fall apart.
18. Top each fish with a dollop of compound butter and allow to melt. Herbs will be infused over fish and add wonderful flavor. Salt and pepper to taste. Top with salsa. Serve orzo on side.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Serving size: 1/6 of a recipe (9.3 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients. One of the recipe's ingredients was not linked. This ingredient is not included in the recipe nutrition data.
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (31%) 103.5
% Daily Value
Total Fat 11.72g 18%
Saturated Fat 4.45g 22%
Cholesterol 58.19mg 19%
Sodium 89.71mg 4%
Potassium 708.12mg 20%
Total Carbohydrates 30.87g 10%
Fiber 2.64g 11%
Protein 25.54g 51%
Nice thing is the entire meals shares the same ingredients and can all be cooked on the grill.
Make a few extra peach halves and cool. Drizzle the peach half with some caramel, fill with whipped cream and top with slivered almonds for dessert, Or even better some vanilla ice cream.