Moroccan Chicken with Fennel
CSA Ingredients: fennel, mushrooms and red onion
This recipe is an adaptation from a recipe I found at:
I love fennel! I have often used it raw in salad but it is so good cooked.
Chicken and Fennel
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups fennel, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fennel leaves, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed but not neccessary)
- Combine spices with pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Season chicken to coat both sides.
- Preheat large nonstick skillet, add olive oil. Cook chicken breasts about 5 minutes each side. Remove chicken and keep warm. Chicken might be slightly pink inside at this point.
- Add the fennel and onions to the pan and saute for 7 mnutes or so. The fennel should be tender but not mushy.
- Boil two cups of water with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add couscous to water and turn off heat. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff the grains before serving.
- Add juice bring to a boil for about 1 minute. Stir until it just begins to thicken, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken and chopped fennel, cover the pan with the lid cook 2 more minutes. Chicken should be cooked until fully cooked but do not overcook so your chicken is moist.
- Spoon coucous onto plate, with chicken and fennel and onions. Spoon portion of sauce on top.