Friday, November 9, 2012

Southern BBQ pork
 
 
CSA ingredient: Boston Butt pork
 
I received a botton Butt pork from my meat subscription and made this BBQ pork which was a huge hit. I wish I could remember where the orginal recipe came from but have had it for years.  Sorry I forgot a picture!  Best part is this is made in the crock pot so dinner is done when you are ready! 
 
Southern BBQ pork sandwiches
 
Ingredients
1 cup onions, sliced
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup salsa
1 cup BBQ sauce
1 tsp cumin
1 pork roast (this can be Boston Butt, pork shoulder, pork loin- inexpensive cuts are fine for this since it slow cook in the crock)
 
1. Place meat in slow cooker.  Cover and cook 8-10 hours on low or high 4-5 hours until meat is very tender and internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
2. Shred meat with forks and mix into juices.
3. Serve on buns. 
 
I used Trifecta BBQ sauce our families favorite and official BBQ of The Kentucky Derby Fesitival.  If you and/or your kids don't go for spicy use a sweet and mild BBQ sauce (Trifecta is sweet and mild).
 
Also I had some leftover mango and peach salsa in the fridge and used that- I think the sweetness and flavors from the fruit were really good in this!  If you want spicy add a salsa with a kick. for young kids stick to a mild salsa. You could use diced tomatoes for a really mild flavor or if you did not have any salsa on hand.
 
Side dishes: you can do a nice slaw or sweet potato fries. We just had salad with it and were all happy!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment