Feingold: Stage 1 unless you add tomatoes than Stage 2
This recipe was modifed from a web site called : The Shiksa in the Kitchen
1 beef brisket (mine was 3.5 lbs- see note below on size)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, diced
2 celery stalks,diced
4 garlic cloves peeled
1 quart of beef broth
1 fresh thyme and rosemary sprig
fresh parsley, chopped
Optional: add 1 small can of tomato paste to vegetable mixture and coat meat with mixture before roasting.
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2.Let brisket sit at room temperature about 15-20 minutes.
3. Sprinkle with salf and pepper (generously)
4. Place roasting pan over medium-high heat and add vegetable oil.
5. Place brisket in hot roasting pan and cook about 4-5 minutes per side until brown.
6. Add diced onions, carrots and celery to pan.
7. Top with garlic cloves and herbs.
8. Pour broth into pan.
9. Cover with foil and place in oven. Roast one hour per pound of brisket. Do not disturb during cooking.
10. Remove from oven and allow to cool 15-20 minutes before serving.
I would recommend using a 5-6lb brisket. You can double the vegetables if you use a bigger roast and bigger roasting pan. If you need to add more borth so it comes up the sides of the brisket about half way. It would take 5-6 hours for this. You would have awesome sandwhiches with the leftovers.
Remove bay leaf, rosemary and thyme. Place remaining ingredients into bowl. Blend with immersion blender, in regular blender or food processor. Add salt and pepper if desired. Heat until warm and serve over meat.