1 butternut squash peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 box pasta
1/2 cup olive oil (plus a few tbsp for roasting squash)
1/2 cup walnut pieces
2 shallots, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 tsp dried sage (or 2 tbsp fresh)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup Gouda cheese or Parmesan cheese
1 TBSP garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup reserved cooking water
1. Mix the butternut squash with a 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil- enough to coat. Add garlic, 1 tsp kosher salt. Roast at 350 degrees for 50 minutes until tender but not mushy.
2. Cook pasta until al dente
3. Heat olive oil in saute pan. Add walnuts and shallots and cook until light brown (about 10 minutes on low heat) Add sage. fresh sage would be best- some diced and a few whole leaves for "fried" sage leaves as a garnish. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Toss cooked pasta with sauce adding 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid.
5. Mix 1/2 cup shredded cheese in pasta and put rest on top. Allow to melt and serve.
Note: This was even better the next day with a little Parmesan on top.